Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What a Nice Surprise!

What a nice surprise to hear from some old friends at OHS! And, what a coincidence! Actually, my husband and I made an impromptu visit to Olton just yesterday. Most of you might remember that Ronda Gullett and I were very good friends in high school. Ronda overcame many obstacles to get to the place she had arrived at in high school, but because she was shy, she had few friends. Our parents have known each other since we were little children, and before Ronda's accident that almost took her life when she was 4 or 5 years old. We had lots of fun together. To make a long story short, I hadn't heard from her in a long while, so I googled her name on the internet last week. That's when I learned she had passed away 6 years ago. Imagine my shock and regret. So yesterday we made a trip to put flowers on her grave and say goodbye.That being said, I have lots of fond memories of OHS. I was terribly shy in school, but I enjoyed my classes and extracurricular activities. One of my favorite teachers was Ruth Holladay. Being in her speech class helped me come out of my shell and learn to be more assertive and self confident. Being in the senior class play was the most fun of all! Mrs. Holladay was always there to encourage me, and I'll never forget her patience and kindness. I loved being in choir, pep club, and other clubs I had joined. I don't really have any exciting memories to share, but I'll always look back on living at Olton as a fun time.As we made the drive back home yesterday, we came in the back way through Hart so I could see if the old drive-in movie theatre was still standing...and it was! I sure had lots of fun there. then, seeing the cotton fields and familiar farm scenes made me nostalgic. Olton has changed a lot in the past 38 years, but the school still looks the same. How many times did we all drag main with Creedence or the Eagles playing on the radio? How many nights did we come home from the football games , our throats hoarse from screaming "Go Mustangs!" Many fun times, many people who made high school a memorable experience. Thank you for inviting me to share my memories.Vicki (Adcock) GoreStratford, TexasClass of 1969

1 comment:

Jo said...

Thanks so much for posting. If you are in touch with others, let them know about the site. We'd love to here from all.

JoTisa Holladay Klemm
Class of "moved away before I started school but kept up with lots of Olton folks."